This cabin has an open floor plan with 2 beds downstairs and 2 beds upstairs.
The Elk Inn has a history totally different from all of the Bruce original cabins. In the late ’30s or early ’40s a man by the name of Wooding came to the Pagosa Springs area, and he leased National Forest land just down the road from Judge Bruce’s, Bruce Spruce Ranch. He then proceeded to build six solid log cabins where he started his own guest ranch which he called the Flying W Guest Ranch, and it was operated as such for many years.
After his passing and Forest Service policy changes, and failure of new owners, it was determined that the cabins had to be moved. At that time Craig and Gena Hinger bid on and got three of the cabins, the Elk being one of those. The Elk Inn was then moved, which is a story in itself, and placed where another historic Bruce cabin “Tee Pee” previously had stood, but was crushed by a tree. After this cabin was renovated and placed into service it was named Elk Inn after the mighty elk of the Rockies. It is a four double bed cabin enjoyed by many larger families. This all took place in 1970-71.
All our cabins have electricity, refrigerator, freezer, gas oven with four burners, microwave, pots, pans, dishes and utensils, as well as a kitchen table with chairs. A pot bellied stove provides heat, with chopped wood easily available. Each cabin has a half bath with cold running water and a clean, centralized area for hot showers in individual stalls. There is also a central laundry facility that can be used for a small fee. Sheets and blankets are provided, but there are no kitchen or bath towels, so we recommend bringing your own.
- Four Double Bed Cabin $142.00 a night
- 7th night free
- Pets $10.00
- Horse $10.00
- Extra Person $10.00
- Twin/Roll-Away Bed $10.00
- Please note that Bruce Spruce Ranch is a NON SMOKING (cigarette or marijuana) property
- 5% cash discount (includes checks and travelers checks)
- Taxes not included
- Reservations on all cabins require a deposit of 1/3 of total lodging cost or no less than 1 night’s rent to be paid when a reservation is made. Upon arrival, guest are responsible for the total payment of all reserved nights.
- Cancellations on summer cabins & RVs: If a cancellation is made at least 60 days before reservation, your deposit will be refunded less a $20 handling fee. For cancellations made less than 60 days before a reservation, the deposit will not be refunded.